Monday 24 December 2007


So I've finally recovered from having to knit with acrylic. It was horrible. I spent a lot of time knitting the horrible little things, only for them not to be picked up yesterday. I shoved them and the horrible yarn in the cupboard at the shop. Here's a photo of me two nights ago, knitting away. Notice I have a cup of tea and slice of cake nearby, plus some gorgeous Malabrigo Gruesa (with which I whipped up a quick hat for my brother in law, which my mother in law seems to be wearing).


And I've started the Harry Potter scarf. Having never watched a Harry Potter film, I had no idea the scarves are so long. The pattern calls for 86" of scarf. Needless to say, there's no way it is going to be that long. I love the yarn - Cascade 220- it's such a pleasure to knit with, but I can't wait to get my teeth into something more interesting. I've queued some interesting socks on Ravelry as a reward, a promise of things to come, and also the lovely Snowdrop Shawl by Yarn Harlot. Ravelry drives me crazy because it is so wonderful; there are so many things that I want to make, I don't know how my hands will get everything done!
So it is Christmas Eve. I'm sitting here with carols on in the background, from King's College Cambridge. All very nice, with the occassional undergraduate - all with very posh accents- doing readings. The kids are running around being noisy, the inlaws are in the kitchen chatting and Ewan is making the kids' tea. Doug and I have two minutes to ourselves, where we are not being climbed over etc. My wonderful mother in law has spent the day doing all of our laundry. A true Christmas present in itself. I can't remember the last time I saw the top of the washing machine and tumble dryer not covered in stuff waiting to be ironed! Pre-kids, I used to be incredibly house proud and was always on top of housework. The last year or so, I've given up trying to keep on top of the housework seeing as these two generally get very raucous when I try to do housework and usually mess it up again within five minutes of me cleaning it up. Plus I've got the knitting bug too so when I do have time to do housework, I actually knit. I'm sure others reading this are the same.
I actually am not looking forward to wrapping presents tonight, as it is going to detract time away from my needles!!
OK, well I'm going to wish you all a very merry Christmas now. Have a fantastic day tomorrow!
Jo
x

No comments: