Tuesday 4 December 2007

In the 'old' days of six months ago, I used to love nice, simple projects which used lots of garter stitch and were preferably for babies. How times have changed. I've got several WIPs on the go at the moment which are simple garter or stocking stitch and I am so BORED! The worst WIP by far is the socks for Doug, although I am chipping away, doing a few rounds a day to get them finished by Christmas - they were only started in September! Note to self: don't make your first pair of socks for the person with the largest feet in your family!

Tanisha brought a copy of the most fantastic knitting book I've seen in ages to the knitting group last night- called something like Holiday Knits (by Melanie Fallick). Sorry for vagueness of title-this will be corrected tomorrow as I rushed around to Warwick Books this morning to order a copy in. There are so many fantastic projects in there, for beginners to amazing knitters like Jo, Jane and Kate.

One day, not too soon away, I'm determined to have a go at doing lace proper so am going to drop some not so subtle hints to Doug about Christmas presents (and the fact that I've got a wish list on Amazon!!)

So why is some things never work out how you expect?! I made a little stocking (30 stitches on 2.75mm DPNs) out of some sample 4 ply mohair that I was sent by Jan at Hicks Angora. I was under the impression that all animal fibres are meant to felt. Not this stocking - it actually grew! Can anyone please explain this to me? Needless to say, I'm going to stick to smaller needles and less stitches so no felting is needed.

I can't wait to get to a newsagents tomorrow morning and buy Simply Knitting; the mums and tots knitting group is club of the month. It's so exciting to see something that I've worked pretty hard for over the past 10 months to get some good coverage in the major national knitting magazine.

So, to Victorian evening. For those of you who know me well, it will come as no surprise that everything was done at the last minute. I spent most of Thursday making a semi-authentic (well authentic pattern at least) dress on which to put the wonderful Bosom Friend (I'll get some photos on here tomorrow when at the shop). I was lucky to bump into a fantastic signwriter too so the window is looking quite cool.

I need to get on with some actual knitting now; I had Robbie in the shop all day and while he was pretty amusing to the two customers who came in, he completely distracted me and then I've spent far too long on Ravelry this evening.

No comments: